Sunday, January 13, 2008

"The American", by Henry James

I discovered classic through the writing of Jane Austeen especially Pride and Prejudice and Emma, my all time favorite book. Despite its twisted, complicated and confusing words and phrases, classic books have amazing story line and beautifully written.

After enjoying the hilarious and thrilling (almost 600 pages of) Three Musketeers, I switched to Henry James’ s “The American”. Set in 1868, the story follows the fortunes of Christopher Newman, a 19th-century "new man" who has amassed a fortune in California and heads to Europe to learn its ways and find a wife.

What I enjoyed most about Henry James writing was his ability to described things in so perfection, as non-other have described. Here are some of the phrases that truly touched my heart.

“They kept the pot boiling till it cracked and then they put it on the shelf altogether”

“People are proud only when they have something to loose, and humble when they have something to gain.”

“Old trees have crooked branches, old house have queer cracks, old races have odd secrets”

“Listening to everything and hearing nothing!”

“We have differences as blue and pink”

“What right have I to be happy when others have been most unhappy”

Above all, his manner to call the main character as “hero”, just as how I would address a man-though in anger and annoyance.

No comments: