Monday, August 27, 2012

Xian Part 1 : 1-2 November 2011

Day 5: 1 November 2011, Tuesday
Destination : Xian

Photo taken from hostel world
The train arrived Xian at about 5.30 am. I have prebooked my hostel, Shuyuan Youth Hostel. The room rate was CNY35. Good bargain.

Shuyuan International Party Hostel
No.2 Shunchengxixiang,
Nanmen Li, Xi'an, China





File:XiAn Railway Station.JPG
Taken from wikipedia
My initial plan was to book  the tour to the Army of Terracotta Warriors and Horses, but the person at the reception was really dumb and not helpful, I ended up getting there on my own, which was good in a way as I not only meet a new friend but also experience Xian on my own.

It was early, so I chucked my bag in the hostel, showered and headed out to catch the first bus to the Terracotta Museum. It was not that difficult to get to the train station. The bus stop to the station is just in front of the hostel and it cost only CNY2 or less. The whole city is divided into two, within the wall and outside the wall. The station is at the end of the wall.


The official bus to get there is bus number 306, how ever there lots of illegal buses that runs by the same number to same destination but charge more. Therefore, one must be alert. Luckily, I managed to find it, after encountering with the fake ones. Apart from my self, there was only another foreigner (Chris) in the bus. The bus ride was interesting. It has a bus conductor, that never stop talking.  By  the time we arrived at the last stop, both of us was quite lost and ended up walking together, following the crowd, which lead to the entrance of the museum. 

The entrance was filled with tour guide in uniform. The spoke English well and was very persistence we needed a guide. The entrance is CNY90. I personally did not want to waste money, but Chris agreed to pay and share the guide with me, which was good. Chris is from Holland, and also traveling for about 2 weeks. He was traveling from North and arrived at Xian train station in wee hour of the morning as well. I like Chris allot, the nicest and most interesting person I have traveled with apart from Jenny (which I meet at Uncle Tan, Sabah). I guess travelling with someone older and experience is always different.

Back to my story. If it was only me traveling, I would probably spend only two hours at Terracotta and moved on, but Chris was different. May because of his background on carpentry, he sees the statue differently. He admires and analyses each as if it was precious gem stone that has thousand of stories behind it. And soon I was doing the same. I realised, every army was in different clothes, different hair style, different shoes, nothing was a kind. I also realised, that if I would had meet him earlier, Taj Mahal would seem different!
The bits and pieces of the museum.  

































By the time we finished, it was 1500 pm, and we were both hungry. We had our lunch at a nearby restaurant and talked for a long time, about lots of stuff, till we realised its time to get to the other museum, Tomb of Quin Shi Huang. It was free as we paid together with the Terracotta Museum fees and it free bus service.

The place was practically nothing except it had beautiful garden. the weather was nice, so we just ended up having going for a walk at the park. We left at about 17.00 pm. Chris did not book his accommodation but also planned to stay at the same hostel. Since we really enjoyed each others company, we decided to meet for diner later on. As I headed back to my room, I meet another friend, Mandy, from Hong Kong who was traveling a week in Xian. She is super nice and ended up persuading her to join for dinner with Chris.

We were not sure where to go but, Mandy suggested Muslim Quarters as they have great street food. Which was indeed right. With Mandy language skills, and Chris interesting character, we had wonder full time. The night  with three of was so interesting we decided to see again tomorrow morning for city tour.

Mandy and I looking at dried fruits.
Day 6: 2 November 2011, Wednesday
Destination: City tour, in and out of the wall

We woke up early and quick lunch at the hostel. Our destination was unclear, but at the end decided to the Museum. A must see place in all country. With Mandy around, we manage to take the local bus with no difficulty, cheap and convenient. It is always nice to travel with people who speak the same language.

We arrived at the museum around 900 am and stayed there till 1300 noon. Four long hours looking into each and everyone in detail. If I knew Chris earlier, Egypt would have been different!!


















We had late lunch, the best ever. With Mandy around it was so easy, and can worry less on what goes into my mouth. After great lunch, we searched for the Goose Pagoda. It cost CNY40 for entrance and another CNY50 to pagoda. It sounded so interesting, but when we arrived there, it was mere disappointment.



But what matters most was that we liked each others company. Departing was difficult, so we ended up getting back to the town to get good cup of coffee, at Starbucks. It was the best way to end the day. I truly believe that the best part of travelling meeting great people.

No comments: