Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"Half-day" syndrome

I guarantee that everyone at one point or another have taken or in urge of taking half day in our working life. Off course its different when you talk about private sector as their half days are counted as their holiday, but in government, it’s wonderful.

If I were to take half day intentionally, I will normally make sure I stay at least 6 hours in office, no lunch, clear my table (even so my boss will be reluctant to give me half day) and then do what ever I need to do. But to avoid it, I would normally just take leave. Hence, spent most of my leaves seeing my lecturer, going for exam, registering for new semester etc.

But sometimes in life, in needy situation or when disaster strikes, one has no choice but to take half days. It just happened to me several times this year, with the tyre punctures, repairing cars due to accident, send/fetch parents or simply going to the dentist.

The other day, while I was driving with amma to shop, I overheard an ad and burst of laughing. Amma who was shocked at the moment joined me when the ad was repeated. In that advertisement, an employee (who happen to be a girl) requested half day from her boss. Her request was so hilarious as even though the boss offered her the whole day she insisted on half day, just to go for the court mammoth had half-day sale! Amma quickly said that with all the mega sale going, the next time I apply for half day, my boss will give “are you going for shopping” look before he approves. Hmm, the ad is making life difficult. Must be very careful next time.

No comments: