Friday, September 12, 2008

SOLO BACKPACKING- Discovering Sabah- TAR

Day 4: 22 July 2008
More Sun sand beach and hmm

It was my final day with Guna. Time passes by so quickly. We were having so much fun together. Today was going to be tight schedule. Woke early and went straight to jetty to catch the first boat to Manukan. Unfortunately we took the wrong tour agent and was asked to wait. Waited and waited and waited for almost an hour before the agents called us and requested us to change different tour agent as they didn't manage to find any customer! Sigh!

Luckily there was no additional charges. In no time all procedure was done and we were sent to the boat along with our snorkel stuffs (life jacket and mask that cost us RM15 each). We we put on a boat along with another 8 people.

As we excitedly enjoyed the view from the speed boat and chatting with the boat man when suddenly, deng..deng..deng.. Guna panicked and realised her bag was missing! We immediately searched. Looking at us being so anxious, the boat sense something was missing, quickly turned the boat and called the agent to check if the bag was still there. Luckily it was still there at the same spot. The boat man and his friend was laughing like mad man and went on on about teh silly act! It was so embarrassing.

The new view of the Jetty ...




Simple breakfast at the jetty





Hey Nemo, We are Coming to Get Ya...

We we dropped of at Manukan and given time till 11 a.m before we depart to the next island. The agent at the Island took us to the first life guard and requested us to swim there (not sure why) but I am guessing to avoid being late. The most embarrassing part was being stared at especially when they know we were Malaysian! So I started conversation with them, of course what else other then finding nemo! The gave me some clue where to find the fishes and was told its best when we feed the with breads. So off Guna went to buy the fish food and off I went diving into the sea (while they were watching and laughing at my rotten swimming skill!).


Unfortunately, there were no nemo but manage to see many big colourful fishes. Most of it was bigger the what I saw in Mabul. Tired, I headed back to the sea waiting Guna and complained to the boys there. All they did was laugh and more staring at me and then at Guna when she arrived. With that food in hand, we both jump to the sea. Second attempt was better as we had food with us. But we were not satisfied. We walked out of the water and headed further up where the rest of the crowd was.

There were more life guard here. By then they all new that we were Malaysian (modern technology, how news travel fast!) and was being really friendly. I kept on whining to the guard saying I can't see nemo. He suggested that I swim really far into the sea (imagine getting that from life guard!) where the buoy situated if I want to sea beautiful fishes. Sigh! It was sure was far and it means that we need lots of energy to swim there. To excited, both Guna and I agreed and jumped into the sea. The current was so so strong that it drifted us away to th eleft seid eof teh shore. So we went for second attempt. This time with more wiser suggestion form the boys. I swam and swam and swam so hard against the current and finally managed to grab the life buoy. As I was catching my breath waiting for Guna, I suddenly realised she was no where near, being drifted away to the other part of the sea and was basically screaming asking for help. " I cant..I cant.. I am tired!"

I was scared, tired and angry. I scolded her there and then and pulled her while I swam to the shore. I was almost giving up when one of the angel swam and helped me out. Probably they were laughing at all the drama that was happening there with binoculars nad decided to help when I reached the shore. Sigh! So embarrassing.

Nevertheless, the boys was good. There quickly offered to take us to the sea once again. Guna quickly agreed not thinking that she was unable to swim just moment ago. So I told him to hold her hand while I will swim all by myself all over again. This time I was extremely tired and the life buoy seems far far away. Just when I was about to give up, my another sweet angel in black swam and helped me. We stopped at the life buoy and chatted for along time in the middle of the sea before he send me off to Guna. He showed me the most magnificent view anyone could get under the sea. Nemo, lots and lots of them. Many colourful fishes swam across us, so near that we were able to touched them with our bare hand! I thought I died and went to heaven, again! Moment later, we swam back to the shore. As we came out of the sea, there were smiles in all of our faces, us seeing nemo and them helping us poor girls finding nemo. They were absolutely awesome!

By then it about time for us to depart. We waived good bye and left. But not satisfied, so we headed back to snap pictures with them. People there would have though we were either long lost friend or some crazy fools. We waived good bye again and headed back to jetty(after Guna spend along time in the loo) and realised the boat has left us and the next boat will only be there at 12 o'clock. Sigh! So we had no choice but to wait.



Entrance to Manukan- beautiful walkway



Our sweet, kind helpful angels that made our dream come true to see nemo swimming freely in the sea

leftover bombs

me after my snorkel..look how curly my hair is

beautiful view of Manukan beach


The Sapi Island.....

Since, Guna's flight was schedule at 5.20 p.m, it was for us to leave the island by 1 p.m. so that we can do some last minute shopping and eating. We quickly bathed and waited to be shipped back to the jetty. But the boat went to Sapi first before heading back to jetty. Giving us the opportunity to at least step on the island that we paid RM17 each. Sigh! I have no regrets.


Unable to snorkel here as we missed the 11 o'clock boat coz we were busy finding nemo and chatting with our angels in Manukan ....





Shoppin, Shopping, Shopping: Exploring KK Market

Before going for shopping, I went back to Sutera Sanctuary in Wisma Sabah to book hostel in the park it self as I could not find any other accommodation near by. It cost me another RM80 ringgit just for dorm and breakfast!

We walked to the markets and shopped till it was time for us leave. We went back and Guna bathed and packed for the final time. We went out to eat but almost all shops were cleaning up so ended up in chicken rice shop. I just ate my muesli. At about 4 p.m., the taxi arrived (and it was not Pak Cik Samsir but his friend!) and we were off to airport. Send Guna back and headed back to the to the town all by myself.

The markets...





The locals laid back life..








The beginning of the new journey....


By now, I was all by myself. It was the beginning of my solo backpacking trip and I felt it was best to start with good meal (rawa tosai and masala tea). A superb Indian food. Walked back to my hostel and had a long chat with Jenny. Later in the night, I went to the nearest Internet cafe and tried to download my pictures but failed. So went back and slept.



Everything starts with food..my rawa tosai for dinner at lotus restaurant api api centre..damn good...


Note:

Airport: Taxi-RM20 (inform which terminal air asia or MAS)

TAR:

The Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park is accessible via 15 – 20 minutes speedboat ride from Kota Kinabalu. The departure and arrival point for the boat transfers is at the KK Ferry Terminal, situated next to the Malaysia Royal Custom Department. Boat transfers to the islands are available daily from 7.30am to 5pm.

Boat transfer fares to the Islands are listed as follows: *Fare per pax/boat

Manukan Island - RM23
Mamutik Island- RM23
Sapi Island-RM23
Sulug Island-RM25
Two island hops-RM33
Three island hops-RM43
Four island hops-RM53
Boat charter for one island-RM204
Boat charter for Malahom Bay-RM204
Boat charter for Police beach-RM204

* A levy of RM50 per boat will be charged for special pick up times or overnight stays
The following rates are not inclusive of charged terminal fee (RM1); each entrance fee is valid for 5 islands per day. Entrance fees: RM3

No comments: